There are several things to consider prior to starting your business. Are you offering a product or service? How will it be delivered to your customer and be profitable? And more…
Create a Business Plan
1. Market Research and Competitor Analysis
Conduct market research and competitor analysis to better understand your customer’s needs, demographics, target customer, and industry.
- BDC – Guide to Market Research
- BDC – 5 Steps to a Low Cost Competitor Analysis
- Futurpreneur – How to do Market Research
- Government of Canada – Research and Business Intelligence
- Statistics Canada – 2016 Census
- The World Trade Center – Research Information Services
2. Financial Needs
What are your financial needs? Identify them and how you plan to finance them.
- BDC – Financing and Loans
- Community Futures Triple R – Startup Funding
- Futurpreneur – Financing Loans for Business Owners Aged 18 – 39
- Government of Manitoba – Tax Credits and Programs
- Government of Canada – Business Grants and Financing
- Government of Canada – Overview of Federal Government Services for Small Businesses
- Government of Canada – Canada Small Business Financing Program
- Steinbach Chamber of Commerce – List of Professional Financial Institutions
- Women’s Enterprise Center – Loans and Financing Option
3. Business Structure
Choose the structure that best suits your business.
- BDC – Choose the Right Structure for your Business
- Government of Manitoba – Choose your Business Structure
Develop your unique marketing plan and brand.
- Steinbach Chamber of Commerce – Advertising and Media Business Directory
Business Plan Templates
Register Your Business
1. Choose and Reserve your Business Name
Choosing your business name can be very exciting! You must choose and reserve your business name with the Government of Manitoba.
- Government of Manitoba – Choosing your Business Name
- Government of Manitoba – Reserve your Business Name
2. Apply for Permits, Licenses, and Taxation
Permits, licenses, and taxation requirements vary by area and industry. The below resources will help you identify what is required and where to apply.
- BizPal Manitoba – Find the Permits and Licenses needed for your Business
- City of Steinbach – Steinbach Registration and License Applications
- Government of Manitoba – Do I Need to Register?
- Government of Manitoba – Taxes Home
Other Things To Consider
WCB – Determine whether your business requires coverage.
- Resource: Workers Compensation Board of Manitoba
Professional Services – Does your business need professional services? This includes:
IT Services – Does your business need IT services?
- Resource: Steinbach Chamber – List of IT Services
Chamber Membership – Consider us your business partner and support as you navigate your path to success.
- Resource: Steinbach Chamber – Join Us!
Business Planning Help
- BDC – Advisory Services
- Community Futures Triple R – Business Services
- Futurpreneur – Mentor Program
- North Forge Technology Exchange – Founders Program
- Women’s Enterprise Center – Advise and Training
- WTC – Trade Accelerator Program
Contact the Steinbach Chamber at 204.326.9566 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.