On Tuesday, December 5, 2023, Steinbach Chamber Executive Director Tessa Masi along with representatives from thirteen other chambers in the Manitoba Chamber Network gathered in-person for our annual Chamber Advocacy Day to share priorities, ideas, and challenges facing Manitoba’s business community.
Chamber Advocacy Day serves as an opportunity for Manitoba’s local chambers of commerce to meet with Cabinet Ministers and Members of the Legislative Assembly, to advocate on behalf of business, and to discuss issues that are important in their regions. With this initiative, we provide an opportunity for chambers of commerce to advance local issues in an informal setting and we help to facilitate conversations with decision-makers at the provincial level.
We were pleased to meet with a broad range of elected officials last week, including:
- Honourable Wab Kinew, Premier of Manitoba & Minister of Interprovincial Affairs, International Relations and Indigenous Reconciliation.
- Honourable Malaya Marcelino, Minister of Labour and Immigration
- Honourable Renée Cable, Minister of Advanced Education and Training
- Honourable Tracy Schmidt, Minister of Environment and Climate Change
- Honourable Jamie Moses, Minister of Economic Development, Investment and Trade and Natural Resources
- Honourable Ian Bushie, Minister of Indigenous Economic Development, Municipal and Northern Relations
- Honourable Lisa Naylor, Minister of Transportation and Infrastructure, Consumer Protection and Government Services
- Honourable Uzoma Asagwara, Minister of Health, Seniors, and Long-Term Care
- Jeff Wharton, Shadow Minister for Economic Development, Investment and Trade
- Grant Jackson, Deputy House Leader, Shadow Minister for Manitoba Hydro, and Shadow Minister for the Public Utilities Board
These meetings established a strong foundation for collaboration between the Manitoba Chamber Network and the provincial government. Positive commitments were made to prioritize the interests of the business community in decision-making processes. We are excited to serve as trusted partners in advancing the growth of the provincial economy. On behalf of the Manitoba Chamber Network, we extend thanks to all Members of the Legislative Assembly who dedicated their time to meet with us.